Friday, September 16, 2011

Sarah Jean's Birth Story/Part 1

A little history....

With baby #'s 1, 4, , & 6 I was over my estimated due date, so I knew I had a 50/50 chance of once again going "late."  I also wasn't 100% sure of my timing on when I conceived, and had just 1 cycle this time.  I should have never told anyone an actual due date, as the inevitable "Are you still walking around?", or "You haven't had that baby yet, huh?"  started about a week before my due date, which was June 22nd.

Well June 22nd came, and went, and no baby.  My Mom came into town on June 18th my Aunt Joanne, and then my sister, her husband, and 3 girls all on the 24th.  I had some good contractions on the 25th while out to dinner, but they fizzled out.  I continued to have them pretty much every day from there on.  On June 29th I went for an ultra sound.  The Tech said how "BIG" the baby was, and how she had a "little peach fuzz" for hair (boy was she off on both).  July 30th we went to the midwives, and had the Non-Stress test done.  Baby was doing great, and so was I.  At that point there were 2 other ladies overdue, so they didn't want to put all 3 of us into labor at the same time (both of the ladies had their baby's that night)  Nana had already planned to take our older 2 boys, Gabriel, and Andrew back to FL with her for 2 weeks so I reluctantly drove them to the airport on July 2nd.   I called the Midwives that day thinking it could be the day, but the Midwife on call wanted to break my water, and I didn't feel it was time.  July 4th we had a nice family day(sans my older two boys).  We went to Lowes, and got some mulch, and new flowers to plant.  I still had contractions, and I even thought "Yay a 4th of July baby would be cool."

The beginning of labor....

July 5th I had some contractions, but again they went away.  One of the midwives called, and we decided I would come in the next day to strip membranes, then follow-up at home with some caster oil.  That night around 6:50 Andrew and I were watching "True Grit", and I was starting to have some stronger contractions.  I went up to relax in the bath tub.  Around midnight I called the midwife.  I wasn't sure that it was time yet, so I said I would relax, and call if they got stronger.  I was up all night pretty much with them, and had Andrew call again around 4:30am.  By 5 Lori, my midwife assistant arrived.  Alice, my midwife around 5:30.  We chatted, and I sat on my ball, for maybe an hour to 90 minutes.  Around 6:30-7am, Andrew & I decided to take a walk.  I had some strong contractions on the walk, and seemed to be progressing.  We went home, and our oldest Alisha was up, and soon after Mariann, Daniel & Joshua were up.We took another walk, this one longer, and had a good 2-3 contractions.  Somewhere around 8 am Andrew went to get bagels and coffee.  We sat around laughing a lot, enjoying breakfast together, with some contractions in there(every 5-10 minutes).  Heartbeat was great, and I was handling contractions by getting on my ball still.  I noticed this labor I tend to tense up my shoulders, but the sweet reminders from my Midwife/midwife assistant really helped me to relax.  I spoke to my Mommy, and sister, then later my niece Arianna.  This was great, since they weren't able to be here, I still had them on the other end of the phone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.